22 November 2010

Local favourites // Drum Eyes


Minding my own business I was. Waiting for The Pipettes and minding my own business. Then, from the wings of the many-tunnelled sweat-box of Leeds' Cockpit, came DJ Scotch Egg armed with said picnic snack and a fearsome barrage of SNEStronica to temporarily blind me. Being average height (for a girl) I'm not a tall man, but fizzing through the armpits and shoulders of all before me like a Robin Hood arrow a bread-crumbed ball thundered into my right eye.

After this traumatic episode I'm loathed to hail the future projects of my nemesis, but Brighton based Drum Eyes are too good to ignore. Theirs is a world of boundless possibility, merging hardcore drums, 80s synths and a psychedelic take on structure to create music alien to convention. Their debut Gira Gira was out a few months back on Upset the Rhythm, but here's a taster of their madcappery.

No comments:

Post a Comment